Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This quick and easy dish uses all those aromatic ingredients that draw people into the kitchen to see what's for dinner. It's an easy sauté of garlic, onions, coloured peppers, and tasty chicken sausage, served with your favorite pasta. Use the chicken sausage of your choice, including sausages flavored with herbs, sun-dried tomatoes, apples, or spices.
- 12 ounces pasta (linguine, spaghetti, fettucine, spirals, etc.)
- 4 chicken sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut vertically into thin slices
- 2 coloured bell peppers, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Cook the pasta according to package directions until cooked but still firm to the bite (al dente). While the pasta is cooking, place the sausages in a small skillet over medium heat and add 1/4 cup water. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn sausages at 5 minutes and add more water if necessary.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and coloured pepper strips and sauté for 10 minutes. Add the garlic and rosemary, and season with black pepper to taste. Lower heat and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Remove sausages from small skillet and slice in half lengthwise, then crosswise into 1/2-inch slices. Add to the onions and peppers. Add balsamic vinegar and toss. Cook mixture until sausage is no longer pink in the middle. Serve over cooked pasta.
I liked the flavor of this dish, but my husband pointed out (and I agree) that the pasta to "everything else" ratio is off. I kind of wish I would have used about 1/2 the pasta asked for. However, I really really liked the flavor.
quick and easy with beautiful color and flavors. i used 4 smoked chicken apple sausages cut in 1/2" slices and tossed them in with the red bell pepper and onions. i loved the rosemary, black pepper and balsamic. the only change i would make is to do something more with the pasta (maybe butter and parmesan) before serving the sausages over them. we found it only served 4, not 6. thanks!
This was very good, and even heated up well as leftovers the next day! I only had 3 sausages, so I added some grape and sun-dried tomatoes as well. I also increased the balsamic vinegar just a little bit, and served it over GF pasta. Outstanding!