Recipe by Valerie in Florida
From Rachael Ray. I wanted to see the calorie/fat count in this, so I decided to post it !
- 4 cooked chicken sausage, available at your meat counter (get a Mediterranean flavor, such as pepper and onion or sundried tomato and basil)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1⁄3 cup chicken stock or 1⁄3 cup dry white wine, a generous douse
- 1 cubanelle pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup giardiniera (Italian pickled vegetable salad ( hot peppers, cauliflower, carrots and celery mix available in jar)
- 1⁄4 cup flat-leaf Italian parsley
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil (10 leaves)
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of (2 teaspoons)
- 4 crusty hoagie rolls, split
Directions See How It's Made
- Prick sausages with a fork. Place chicken sausages in a large skillet and add 1 inch of water. Add 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil to the skillet, 1 turn of the pan. Bring water to a boil, then reduce heat a little. Allow all the liquid to cook away, then brown and crisp the casings, 5 to 6 minutes. Deglaze the pan with stock or wine and cook it off, 1 minute. Remove sausages to a platter.
- While sausage cooks, slice the peppers and onions and prepare the garlic. Once the chicken sausage comes out of the pan, add 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan. Add veggies and garlic, season with salt and pepper and cook 10 minutes.
- Place the giardiniera, parsley, basil and lemon zest in the food processor and grind into a relish.
- Slice sausages on an angle. Fill each roll with a little relish, then peppers and onions then the sliced sausages.