Valerie in Florida's Note:
From Rachael Ray. I wanted to see the calorie/fat count in this, so I decided to post it !
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cooked chicken sausage, available at your meat counter (get a Mediterranean flavor, such as pepper and onion or sundried tomato and basil)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup chicken stock or 1/3 cup dry white wine, a generous douse
- 1 cubanelle pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup giardiniera (Italian pickled vegetable salad ( hot peppers, cauliflower, carrots and celery mix available in jar)
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf Italian parsley
- 1/2 cup fresh basil (10 leaves)
- 1/2 lemon, zest of (2 teaspoons)
- 4 crusty hoagie rolls, split
- 1Prick sausages with a fork. Place chicken sausages in a large skillet and add 1 inch of water. Add 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil to the skillet, 1 turn of the pan. Bring water to a boil, then reduce heat a little. Allow all the liquid to cook away, then brown and crisp the casings, 5 to 6 minutes. Deglaze the pan with stock or wine and cook it off, 1 minute. Remove sausages to a platter.
- 2While sausage cooks, slice the peppers and onions and prepare the garlic. Once the chicken sausage comes out of the pan, add 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan. Add veggies and garlic, season with salt and pepper and cook 10 minutes.
- 3Place the giardiniera, parsley, basil and lemon zest in the food processor and grind into a relish.
- 4Slice sausages on an angle. Fill each roll with a little relish, then peppers and onions then the sliced sausages.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Sausage, Pepper and Onion Subs
Serving Size: 1 (284 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 485.7
- Calories from Fat 226
- Total Fat 25.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 101.4 mg
- Sodium 1217.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 19.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: