Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a low-sodium, low calorie, low cholesterol approach to a classic southern style dish. I enjoy cooking with little to no butter or oil - and this recipe follows that guideline. It's got some excellent spice, delicious ingredients and will wow a crowd (they'll never even know how good it is for them)! Feel free to modify the level of spiciness according to your taste and use more water if you prefer a gumbo with more liquid.
- 4 cups water
- 4 teaspoons low-sodium instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 lb frozen okra
- 2 (10 ounce) cansdiced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons tony chachere's creole seasoning
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs chicken breasts, boiled
- 1 lb chicken sausage, casings removed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 -6 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 cups brown rice
- Boil a pot of water to cook the chicken breasts inches.
- Trim excess fat from chicken breasts and dice into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Once water is boiling, add diced chicken and cook through - careful to not overcook.
- Drain chicken.
- In a large pot, place 4 cups water, chicken bouillon, okra, diced tomatoes, basil, oregano, thyme, bay leaves, 1 tsp of Tony Chachere's seasoning and boiled chicken. Bring to a boil.
- In a pan, heat extra virgin olive oil.
- In another pot, boil water for the rice.
- Remove casings from chicken sausage and place in pan with oil, cook until browned.
- Next add celery, bell pepper, onion and garlic, 1 tsp Tony Chachere's seasoning and red pepper flakes to pan with sausage.
- Once cooked through, add the sausage mixture to the pot with the chicken and seasonings.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Cook rice accordingly.
- Serve gumbo atop rice.