Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 2 chicken (deboned)
- 1 lb sausage, cut in 1/2 inch slices
- 2 cups chopped green onions
- 3 cups white onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped green bell peppers
- 3 cups chopped okra
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon gumbo file
- 5 cups water
- Boil and debone chicken (save Stock).
- make the roux by heating the oil and flour in pan.
- till it's the color of peanut butter (DO NOT BURN).
- add the seasoning and cook til onions are clear.
- Add the chicken Stock and deboned chicken and sauage.
- Salt& pepper to taste.
- Bring to boil and simmer 1 hour.
I loved this recipe. I put deer sausage instead of the orginal sausage. I also used chicken leg quarters instead of the chickens; if that made a diffence; I don't think so. I put it over rice. But, it did not tell you when to put the green bell pepper in,so I put it in with the onions.It turned out delicious. I will use this recipe again. Keep up the wonderful recipes. Chef#220151