Recipe by Mom-of-Four
I have tried several gumbo recipes and this was the best one by far. My 4 kids and my husband loved it. It's not easy to find something that they all like, so I really recommend this recipe.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 lb sausage, any flavor you prefer (I used a pork or venison sausage)
- 1⁄4 cup cooking oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons flour
- 2 large chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 lb frozen okra
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons jalapeno seasoning salt
- 2 tablespoons gumbo file
- 2 -3 teaspoons garlic salt
- 3 teaspoons creole seasoning
- water, to cover
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, cook the onion, celery, and peppers.
- Remove veggies from saucepan and add oil.
- Heat the oil and then add the flour. Brown the flour, making a roux. You will need to cook this until it becomes a coppery color (like a penny), stirring constantly so it doesn't burn.
- In large stockpot, cook the chicken and sausage. Once that is cooked, add the veggies, including the okra and tomatoes. Add all remaining ingredients.
- Next add the roux (cooked oil/flour mixture).
- Let soup cook on low for about 3 hours. You really need to cook this soup a long time because it really enhances the flavors.