Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A simple one pot recipe from my grandmother in 1956.
- 1 lb boneless chicken
- 3⁄4 lb smoked sausage
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1 cup thinly sliced parsnip
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced okra
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked rice
- 16 ounces diced tomatoes
- 7 cups chicken broth (3 cans)
- 1 teaspoon crushed thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper
- salt and pepper
- Dice chicken 1/2 to 3/4-inch chunks.
- Bring broth to a full boil in large kettle. Add chicken and turn heat down to medium heat; cook 10 minutes.
- Then add rest of ingredients and cook until veggies and rice are tender. Enjoy!
wheee the first one using real ingredients...not canned or frozen!! But I added garlic and didn't have any parsnips...not my fav. veggie anyway and for personal taste I upped the peppers. thanks