1 hr 5 mins
Iron Mike's Note:
This serves as a nice Sunday dinner or for casual entertaining of friends. Relatively simple one pot dish. Pot-au-feu means "pot on the fire" but the name refers to a hearty, family-style French dish of meat. This was originally from Chicago Tribune Tribune's Food & Drink.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 lbs smoked sausage, cut into 4-inch pieces
- 6 chicken legs
- 6 chicken thighs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 large Spanish onion, minced
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 5 small turnips, peeled, each stuck with a clove
- 5 small zucchini, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 small cabbage, cut into 6 wedges
- 12 small red potatoes
- 6 medium carrots, peeled, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 bay leaf
Horseradish Cream (for serving)
- 1Directions for Horseradish cream. Prep time: 10 minutes.
- 2Combine cream, mustard, horseradish and sugar in small bowl. Taste; adjust as desired. Can be made 2 days ahead and refrigerated.
- 3Directions for Chicken, sausage and vegetable pot-au-feu.
- 4Heat oil in 6-quart pot over medium-high heat. Add sausages stirring frequently until beginning to brown, about 3 minutes.
- 5Remove from sausages pot and set aside.
- 6Add chicken, salt and pepper to pot; sear on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- 7Push chicken to side of pot; add garlic and minced onions to cleared side of pot. Cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- 8Add 3 1/2 cans broth, turnips, zucchini, cabbage, potatoes, carrots and bay leaf. Heat to boiling over high heat; reduce heat to simmer.
- 9Cook, covered, until vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes.
- 10Add reserved sausages and more broth, if needed, during last 10 minutes of cooking.
- 11Taste and adjust seasoning if required.
- 12Serve from pot or transfer vegetables to warm platter.
- 13Skim fat from broth (gravy strainer works well) and moisten meat and vegetables with some broth.
- 14Pass remaining broth and horseradish cream separately.
Browse Our Top European Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All European Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken, Sausage and Vegetable Pot-Au-Feu
Serving Size: 1 (1318 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1393.5
- Calories from Fat 737
- Total Fat 81.9 g
- Saturated Fat 27.9 g
- Cholesterol 318.2 mg
- Sodium 2177.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.9 g
- Sugars 14.5 g
- Protein 83.9 g