Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This colorful and delicious soup is high in protein and fiber while delivering only 4 grams of fat per serving. Part of the secret is low-fat sausage, which tastes almost exactly like the high-fat kind. From A Guy's Guide to Great Eating: Big-Flavored Fat-Reduced Recipes for Men Who Love to Eat by Don Mauer.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 7 ounces kielbasa, split lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (low fat)
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cooked skinless boneless chicken breast half, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1⁄2 cup lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1 cup packed fresh spinach leaves, washed and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Place a 4-quart heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat and add the oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the kielbasa and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the kielbasa to a double layer of paper towels.
- Set aside.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook, stirring frequently, until golden, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of the broth and simmer for 2 minutes, scraping up the browned bits.
- Add the remaining 2 1/2 cups broth, kielbasa, corn, potato, chicken, lentils and bay leaf.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes, or until the potato and lentils are tender.
- Whisk the sour cream into the soup.
- Stir in the spinach, salt and pepper, reduce the heat to low and cook until the soup is just heated through and the spinach is wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. (Do not let it boil.)
- Remove the bay leaf and serve immediately, sprinkled with the parsley.
- Nutritional information per serving: 250 calories (14.7% from fat), 4.1 g fat (0.9 g saturated fat), 19.8 g protein, 35.6 g carbohydrate, 15 mg cholesterol, 709 mg sodium.