Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I made this tonight and it was delicious! It was a hit with the whole family! It tastes like the dish with the same name at the 99 Restaurants.
- 1⁄2-1 lb chopped cooked chicken
- 1⁄2-1 lb browned Italian sausage
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 1 (25 ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 6 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- 3 cloves, minced or 3 chopped garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Coat 2 1/2 quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook pasta; drain; rinse with cold water.
- In bowl, combine marinara, 1 1/2 cups of mozzarella, spinach, ricotta, Parmesan, garlic, basil, salt and pepper. Stir in pasta, sausage and chicken; transfer to baking dish.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella over pasta. Bake until hot, 25-30 minutes.
- Serve with Focaccia bread.
I love the 99 Restaurant's version of this dish and this recipe hits a homerun! It is as good, better according to my daughter than the 99's dish. I cooked this last night on a whim stopping at the grocery store to pick up the ingredients. Easy to put together - within an hour the meal was piping hot on the table ready to eat. Just delicious! The recipe calls for 25 oz of marinara sauce - the bottle I used was 24 oz. Next time I will use a little more sauce or adjust the other ingredients downward. I wasn't able to find fennel sausage (that's what the 99 uses) at the grocery store but I highly recommend the fennel sausage for this recipe. In any event - it gets five stars from me. My picture doesn't really do it justice - it was delish!
Made this recipe as given & shared it with a neighbor couple! They, & my other half, really enjoyed it, I think, because of the spinach in it, & surprisingly enough, although I don't usually care for the stuff cooked, the finished dish was enjoyable! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this fall's round of Pick A Chef]