Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I created this recipe with my mom one Sunday while we were craving one of our favorite (discontinued) dishes from Copeland's.
- 453.59 g fettuccine pasta
- 59.14 ml unsalted butter
- 59.14 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion (Chopped)
- 5 garlic cloves (Minced)
- 1 green pepper, Skinned, Seeded, Chopped (Roasted or Charred)
- 2 (680.38 g) can tomatoes, whole and peeled (Drained, Seeded & Chopped at varying sizes)
- 29.58 ml fresh basil (Finely Chopped)
- 9.85 ml fresh parsley (Roughly Chopped)
- 4.92 ml fresh oregano (Finely Chopped)
- 4.92 ml granulated sugar
- kosher salt
- crushed red pepper flakes
- Tony Chachere's Seasoning or other cajun seasoning or creole seasoning
- fresh ground black pepper
- 59.14 ml white wine
- freshly shredded parmesan cheese (recommended) (optional)
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- mccormick 1-step jambalaya chicken seasoning (or similar)
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- Drain tomatoes, reserve the juice. Seed the tomatoes completely and chop into various sizes. Set aside.
- Roast bell pepper over open flame until fully charred. There will be some smoke. This CAN be done in a with a broiler, turn the pepper 90 degrees every 5 minutes. After charred, run under running water and rub off as much charred skin as possible. Remove the seeds and interior membrane, and dice the pepper. Set aside.
- In a very large skillet or saut√© pan, melt 1/2 stick of unsalted butter over medium high heat. Add 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil. When the butter is melted, add onion and a pinch of kosher salt. Reduce heat to medium. Sweat onion for about 5 minutes, then add garlic, continue to cook over medium heat for another 2 minutes. Add green bell pepper and another pinch of kosher salt. After a few minutes, add tomatoes and basil, parsley, oregano and red pepper flake.
- After 10 minutes, add 1/4 of the tomato juice and continue simmer until reduced. Add another 1/4 tomato juice and simmer until reduced. Add 1/4 cup white wine and deglaze (scrape) the bottom of the skillet.
- While the sauce is simmering, in another non-stick pan, heat 2 TBSP of vegetable oil. Season the chicken breasts liberally with Jambalaya Seasoning. Blacken chicken for about 5 minutes per side (or until fully cooked). Remove chicken from pan and allow to rest 10 minutes.
- After the sauce has reduced, add half of the remaining tomato juice, another pinch of salt, and 1 TSP of sugar. After reduction, add the remaining tomato juice and Tony Chachere's Seasoning to taste. Reduce heat to low.
- In a large pot, bring enough water for the fettucine to a boil. Add salt to the water (this is the only chance you have to season your pasta, take advantage!).
- Slice chicken into strips and add to sauce. Remove from heat.
- Drain fettucine in a collander, do not rinse. After fully drained and noodles to sauce and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese to top. Serve with garlic bread, or crusty french bread. Enjoy.