For World Tour II - Asia/Vietnam. Recipe source: Sticks & Skewers by Elsa petersen-Schepelern
Make and share this Chicken Satays recipe from Food.com.
For the Tamarind Marinade
- 1 piece gingerroot, peeled and grated (1 inch)
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons tamarind paste
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
For the Chicken
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 12 -20 wooden skewers (soaked in water for at least 30 minutes)
For the dipping sauce (Nuoc Cham)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red chile, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 lime, seeded and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fish sauce
- In a bowl mix marinade ingredients (ginger - peanut oil) together.
- Cut the chicken into slices (1/2 inch wide) and then cut these into strips (1/2 inch wide).
- Thread the chicken on the (soaked) skewers.
- Place skewered chicken on a plate of marinating dish and pour marinade over. Let marinate for 30 minutes while preparing grill.
- Drain marinade into saucepan, bring to a boil and then simmer stirring for 15 minutes.
- Grill satays until cooked through.
- Serve with hot marinade and dipping sauce (see below).
- To make dipping sauce: Using a spice mill or with mortar and pestle work the garlic, sugar and chili to a paste. Stir in chopped lime (including the peel) and collected juices. Puree again. Stir in fish sauce and 1/2 cup of water to get righ consistency (may need more water). Set aside.