Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Another Mark Bittman recipe that I am posting for safekeeping. This one is also not specific in the amounts. I am guessing that the chicken is 1 pound. Prep and cooking times are also wild stabs. UPDATE 2-22-13: Today I tried making the sauce for the first time. I thought that the ingredients listed were fine, but the sauce seemed too bland. I doubled the lime juice and a couple of other seasonings, and added a little garlic powder, and I thought that made a significant improvement. It would be best for you to experiment and find the proportions of the ingredients that work best for you.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter
- freshly squeezed lime juice (a couple of tablespoons)
- soy sauce, a splash of
- red chili pepper flakes, 1-2 pinches of
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- chicken broth or water
- salt and pepper
- bamboo skewer
- lime, cut into wedges
- Pound chicken breasts to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Slice them into 4-inch pieces.
- In a bowl, combine the juice from one lime with a smashed clove of garlic.
- Add the chicken and let it marinate for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together peanut butter, lime juice, soy sauce, red chile flakes, brown sugar, and enough chicken broth or water to make a smooth sauce.
- Adjust seasoning.
- Set aside most of the sauce for dipping and smear the rest on the chicken pieces with a little salt and pepper,
- Thread onto skewers and grill for 2 min on each side or until cooked through.
- Serve with the reserved peanut sauce and lime wedges.
Very good dish. Made for Letter tag in New Kids on the Block.