Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A great brown-bag sandwich that is easy to make and a delight to the taste buds. I package everything seperately. At work I heat the satay in the microwave, then assemble. Sure beats the heck out of boring pb&j.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cooked and shredded (may substitute 5-6 chicken thighs)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup chunky peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 cucumber, peeled,halved lengthwise,seeded and sliced
- 1 cup torn lettuce leaf (romaine)
- 2 large pita pockets, cut in half to make 4 pockets
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add curry powder, stirring constantly for 30-60 seconds or so, just until the curry is fragrant.
- Quickly whisk in the coconut milk (so the curry doesn't burn).
- Add in peanut butter, soy sauce, vinegar, cayenne pepper, and 2 to 4 tablespoons water or enough to creat a sauce; whisk to combine.
- Simmer for 1-2 minutes, whisking frequently.
- Add in shredded chicken; stir to combine.
- Remove skillet from heat.
- Open pita pockets; add cucumber slices and lettuce leaves.
- Add in chicken satay and eat immediately.