Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a light sandwich using leftover or rotisserie chicken which helps to make it come together in a matter of minutes. Perfect for lunch or a light dinner when you are too tired to cook or don't want to heat up the kitchen.
Lemon Caper Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon capers, drained
- 2 focaccia rolls (or your favorite bread sliced)
- 10 slices cucumbers (thin slices)
- baby lettuce or watercress leaf
- 5 cherry tomatoes or 5 grape tomatoes, cut lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons shredded carrots
- slivered red onion, to taste
- 1 cooked chicken breast fillet, shredded into long strips
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- Lemon-Caper Mayonnaise: Mix mayonnaise, lemon juice, zest, and capers in a small cup or bowl and set aside.
- Sandwich: Split rolls in half. On the bottom half of each roll, spread the lemon caper mayonnaise.
- Add the cucumber slices, baby lettuce, tomatoes, shredded chicken, slivered onion and grated carrot. Season with salt and pepper and top with the last two slices of rolls spread with Dijon mustard.
Although very mild in flavor, the mayo dressing was nice and fresh and added a pleasant tang to the sandwich. It was a good and healthy chicken sandwich with a serving of veggies as a bonus. In fact, it was like eating a salad and a chicken sandwich all in one. The only trouble I had was controlling the veggies (particularly the halved grape tomatoes) that wanted to slide around and fall off the sides as I ate it. I think I would scale back a bit on the veggies, and use thinly sliced regular tomatoes in the future. Good luck in the contest.
We did use focaccia rolls and enjoyed the sandwiches. I am sorry to say the mayonnaise didnt work to well for us. The lemon flavor was strong for our taste and we didnt really care for the caper flavor or texture. Maybe refrigerating the mayonnaise for awhile before making the sandwiches would help blend the flavor a bit better. Thank you Chef and good luck.
I thought this was good! I used kaiser rolls, couldn't find foccacia rolls. I really liked the flavor of the lemon mayo, but I thought that the mustard overpowered the flavor so I could barely taste it. I would leave the mustard off. I liked all the vegetables. Thank you!