Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a chicken salad with a garlic cream sauce that I got from a friend in Cornwall. It's really tasty. Something like the gryro sandwiches, in which you can use pork or steak for the sandwiches as well. Just pour the sauce over the pork or steak instead of mixing it with the chicken. For the steak you could add crumbled blue cheese if you so desire.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 stalk finely chopped celery
- 1⁄2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1⁄2 thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chives
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chopped garlic
- black pepper
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise (or more)
- 3 tablespoons sour cream (or more)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard (or more)
- 6 pita bread or 6 pita pockets
- Simmer the chicken breasts in chicken broth with the spices.
- Drain and let cool.
- I shredded them with a fork, but you could chop them up too.
- I finely chopped up one stalk of celery, and 1/2 a small onion.
- In a bowl i mixed 1 tsp parsley, 1/2 thyme, 1/2 tsp chives, 1/4 tsp garlic, and some black pepper to taste.
- I add about 3 tbs mayonnaise, 1/4 tsp (or more) mustard, and then i added 3 tbs sour cream.
- You can use more if you prefer, depends on your taste.
- Mix together thoroughly, and add to the veggies and chicken.
- Mix well and let marinate for at least 4 hours.
- Serve them on pita bread, or in pita pockets.
- The pockets work better.
- I also prefer to use whole wheat pitas.
I used the garlic cream sauce from this recipe to go on pork roast sandwiches http://www.recipezaar.com/25757 We spread it on the sandwiches like you would a thick sauce. At first my son balked at the sauce because there were green bits in it, he was afraid it was cilantro. Finally got him to try it and he loved it so much he used up almost all of it leaving none for anyone else! This was perfect. I may add a little cayenne to it and try that too. But as is, it was perfect. I used very good dijon mustard (not the yellow crud) and I think that is key. The mustard flavor is mild but there, and the herbs are in just the right amount. You could probably increase the garlic if you wanted to but I thought the amount was perfect. This was 5 star restaurant quality. Thank you!
Amazing recipe. We were really pleased with this tonight and look forward to lunch tomrrow! One serious spice combo, but it came out lovely. Thanks for posting!