Recipe by Boca Pat
This is an incredibly, delicious chicken dish. I have make it twice, once using regular fresh spinach and once with the fresh baby spinach and I highly recommend using the baby. You're gonna love this!!!!
Top Review by melmom45
This dish was ok, but I had some issues with it. First, you put the baby spinach in with the onions, then cook it for 12 min with the wine and cream. By the time the dish is done, you have cooked the heck out of the baby spinach and you may as well have used a frozen box of spinach. I may try this again, putting the spinach in at the end of the reduction time. Also, after 12 min, this was still pretty watery. It needs more reduction time, or, a little flour or something to thicken the sauce. I also think it needs some mushrooms to make it a step up. But saying all of that, I think this recipe has potential to be really good with a little tweeking.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, pounded to 1/4 inch thickness
For the Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, minced
- 10 ounces fresh baby spinach leaves, rinsed & dried well
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- CHICKEN: Heat oil in skillet.
- Mix flour, salt& pepper.
- Light beat egg& water.
- Dredge each chicken piece in flour, then dip each side of chicken in egg wash.
- Place in pan in single layer& saute to a golden brown, turning once.
- about 2 min.
- per side.
- Transfer to a baking pan just large enough to hold the chicken in a single layer.
- Tent with foil to keep warm.
- Preheat broiler SAUCE: Wipe out the skillet& add oil over med heat Add shallots& spinach; saute until spinach is completely wilted.
- Stir in chick broth, wine and cream.
- Bring to boil& cook 12 minutes until reduced by half Season with cayenne& salt Remove foil& spoon sauce over chick breasts.
- Divide the mozzarella over the tops of each piece of chick.
- Broil chicken 4 to 5 inches from the heat 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese bubbles& is light golden brown.