Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
A traditional Spanish dish. You might need a knife and fork to eat this stew.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into serving-size pieces
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into serving-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium onions, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium green sweet peppers, cored, deveined, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained and cut up
- 1 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a 4- or 4 1/2-quart Dutch oven, brown chicken, half at a time, in hot olive oil over medium heat.
- Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Add onions and green peppers to drippings in Dutch oven; cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon off fat.
- Return chicken to Dutch oven.
- Add eggplant, undrained tomatoes, sherry, lemon juice, salt, and black pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 45 to 50 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink. Serve in bowls.