Recipe by Chandra M
A lighter version of the original. Be sure that the cutlets are even thickness so they cook evenly. This recipe does not call for cheese, which lets the wonderful fresh sage flavor stand through. Adapted from Cooks Illustrated.
Top Review by BLUE ROSE
You will not miss the cheese in this Saltimbocca. What a meal we had tonight~ My DH loved this recipe. To him it was like going out for dinner at a fancy restrant. I had iffy about step 8 but it worked out well. The only change was I did not add the lemon to ours. Thanks for posting this recipe for us all to try.
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in 8 thin-cut cutlets with even edges
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage leaf
- 8 large sage leaves
- 8 slices prosciutto, trimmed to match chicken
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 4 1tbsp pieces and chilled
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 200*F with oven rack in middle position.
- Combine flour and 1 teaspoon pepper in shallow dish.
- Dry cutlets with paper towels. Dredge chicken in flour, shaking off any excess.
- Lay cutlets flat and sprinkle evenly with minced sage.
- Place 1 prosciutto slice on top of each cutlet, pressing lightly to adhere; set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Add whole sage leaves and cook until leaves begin to change color and are fragrant, about 15 to 20 seconds. Use a slotted spoon to remove sage to paper towel-lined plate.
- Add half of cutlets to pan, prosciutto-side down, and cook until light golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Flip and cook on other side until light golden brown, about 2 minutes more.
- Transfer to wire rack set on rimmed baking sheet and keep warm in oven.
- Repeat with remaining 2 tablespoons oil and cutlets, then transfer to oven to keep warm while preparing sauce.
- Pour off excess oil from skillet. Deglaze pan with wine, scraping up any browned bits, and simmer until reduced to about 1/3 cup, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add lemon juice.
- Turn heat to low and whisk in butter, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Remove sauce from heat and stir in parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove chicken from oven and place on platter. Spoon sauce over cutlets before serving & place one sage leaf on each cutlet.