This a quick meal that is sure to please! 45 minutes from start to finish. A spicy soup with chicken, salsa, and veggies topped with tostitos and a pile of mozza cheese - yum! You can make it as mild or as hot as you like. By omitting the cheese, this dish can be virtually fat free depending on your chicken broth/stock. You can also substitute the chicken for tofu and the chicken stock for vegetable stock and create a vegetarian dish. Be sure to use firm/extra firm tofu for this version. I combined chicken cooking time with prep time.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (or equivalent)
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup salsa (mild, medium, or hot, whatever you normally use to dip)
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn (fresh, frozen, or canned)
- 1 medium onion
- 4 -6 cups chicken stock (or less if you are using bone in chicken)
- 2 cups water
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup vegetables (soft, ie, broccoli, bell peppers, mushrooms, etc)
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 garlic clove (chopped)
- 1 (260 g) bag Tostitos Scoops
- 1 -2 cup mozzarella cheese
- Cube and boil chicken in water and chicken stock.
- While chicken is cooking (15 min) chop onion, garlic and veggies, and measure corn and salsa.
- Add onion, veggies, corn, salsa, chili powder, garlic. Cover and bring to a boil and let simmer uncovered for 20-30 minutes.
- Taste and add salt and pepper (extra chili powder) to your liking.
- Ladle into bowls and top with tostitos and shredded mozzarella cheese. Enjoy!
I have made this several times, and when I do everybody loves it and wants the recipe. I cook it with boned chicken for more flavor. I remove meat from bone when cooked. I leave broth to cool and remove fat. I then make my soup. I also use about 1/4 cup of rice.
Absolutely wonderful! Very quick and easy to make too. This will definitely be made more often! MeganBeth ;-)