Queen Dana's Note:
From Food & Wine April 2009. Prep time includes marinating. According to Food & Wine "Hearty main-course salads tend to pair best with a wine that has some body (lighter styles get a bit lost). Try the smoky 2007 Perrin Réserve Côtes du Rhône Blanc or the peppery 2007 Domaine Lafage Côté Est."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup dried currant
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- finely grated lemon zest, plus
- 2 lemons, juice of
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium zucchini, cut into 3-by-1/2-inch sticks (2 pounds)
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 cups lightly packed baby arugula leaves
- 1 inch piece preserved lemon rind, peel only, slivered (optional)
- 1In a small bowl, cover the currants with hot water and let stand until softened, about 10 minutes. Drain.
- 2In a large nonreactive bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the olive oil with the garlic, cumin, lemon zest, half of the lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Add the zucchini and currants and toss to coat. Let stand at room temperature for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- 3Meanwhile, in a large, shallow glass or ceramic dish, combine the minced shallot with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and the remaining lemon juice. Add the chicken breast halves, turning to coat thoroughly with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour, turning a few times.
- 4In a small skillet, toast the pine nuts over moderate heat, tossing a few times, until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate and let cool.
- 5Remove the chicken breast halves from the marinade, scraping off the shallot. Slice the chicken on the bias 1 1/2 inches thick and season with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the chicken slices and cook over moderately high heat, turning a few times, until lightly browned and cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- 6Transfer the chicken to a large, shallow serving bowl and let cool slightly. Add the marinated zucchini and currants, toasted pine nuts, arugula and preserved lemon and toss lightly. Serve right away.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Salad With Zucchini, Lemon and Pine Nuts
Serving Size: 1 (395 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 479.6
- Calories from Fat 243
- Total Fat 27.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 98.7 mg
- Sodium 130.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 11.6 g
- Protein 42.9 g