Recipe by ellie_
This simple low cal salad is a great way to use up some Asian ingredients. The original recipe suggests to put the salad (chicken vegi) over the rice noodles but I tossed everything together. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (September 2007)
- 4 1⁄2 ounces rice sticks (malfun)
For the dressing
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 3 limes, juice of, only
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter (I used low-fat peanut butter)
- 2 teaspoons ginger, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons hot chili paste (sambal oeleck)
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil (or your favorite vegetable oil)
For the salad
- 3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 3 cups napa cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise
- 1⁄3 cup peanuts, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook noodles in a pot of boiling water until tender (3 minutes); drain; and cut noodles in several places with scissors. (The original recipe suggests to spread noodles out on a platter, but I added them to the large salad bowl instead).
- Puree next 7 ingredients (garlic - chili paste) in a blender and with machine running add oil, blending until dressing is smooth. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Set aside.
- In a large salad bowl combine salad ingredients (chicken - cucumbers). (I tossed the salad ingredients with the noodles in the salad bowl).
- Toss with dressing.
- Although I tossed the noodles with the salad in the bowl, the original recipe suggests to arrange noodles on a platter and arrange salad on top of noodles and sprinkle with peanuts, passing additional dressing.
- Can be served warm or is best refrigerated.