Recipe by **Jubes**
A simple chicken salad with a sweet and tangy maple vinaigrette. This would make a great lunch or easy dinner for a hot summer's night. A meal in itself. This recipe was an entry in RSC contest
Top Review by Brooke the Cook in WI
The maple dijon vinaigrette really adds a special touch to this salad. I used pimento-stuffed green olives and warmed my chicken up in the microwave first. I tasted the dressing and felt it needed more maple syrup, so added a bit more. I had thought of warming the dressing up before adding, but by the time I finished putting the salad together, I forgot all about it! Next time, I think I would warm the dressing just slightly. Made for ZWT4.
- 1⁄8 cup apple cider vinegar
- 6 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup good quality olive oil
- 100 g mixed salad salad leaves
- 1 carrot, julienned o.r ribboned
- 16 cherry tomatoes, cut in halves
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lebanese cucumber, sliced
- 3 cooked chicken breasts, cut into thin slices
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced into quarters lengthways
- 20 olives, seeds removed (olive of your preference)
- 4 teaspoons capers
- 20 pecans
- mixed sprouts, optional as salad topper
- shaved parmesan cheese, optional as salad topper
Directions See How It's Made
- For the vinaigrette- combine the cider vinegar, maple syrup, Dijon mustard, parsley, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine and then whisk in the oil. Set aside.
- Arrange the salad leaves in 4 bowls or on dinner plates.
- Top the salad leaves with the carrots, tomatoes,onion slices and the cucumber slices. Distribute evenly over the salads.
- If your preference is cold chicken in your salad, leave as is. I like to either use warm chicken or warm it in the microwave.
- Arrange the chicken over the 4 salad bowls.
- Next add 5 olives, 1 hard boiled egg and 1 teaspoon of capers to each salad.
- Crumble the pecans with your hands and distribute evenly over the top of the 4 salads.
- Whisk the vinaigrette before pouring some over each salad.
- Optional-can top salad with some snow pea sprouts (or sprouts of your choice) and a little shaved parmesan cheese if desired.