A simple chicken salad with a sweet and tangy maple vinaigrette. This would make a great lunch or easy dinner for a hot summer's night. A meal in itself. This recipe was an entry in RSC contest
- 1⁄8 cup apple cider vinegar
- 6 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup good quality olive oil
- 100 g mixed salad salad leaves
- 1 carrot, julienned o.r ribboned
- 16 cherry tomatoes, cut in halves
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lebanese cucumber, sliced
- 3 cooked chicken breasts, cut into thin slices
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced into quarters lengthways
- 20 olives, seeds removed (olive of your preference)
- 4 teaspoons capers
- 20 pecans
- mixed sprouts, optional as salad topper
- shaved parmesan cheese, optional as salad topper
- For the vinaigrette- combine the cider vinegar, maple syrup, Dijon mustard, parsley, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine and then whisk in the oil. Set aside.
- Arrange the salad leaves in 4 bowls or on dinner plates.
- Top the salad leaves with the carrots, tomatoes,onion slices and the cucumber slices. Distribute evenly over the salads.
- If your preference is cold chicken in your salad, leave as is. I like to either use warm chicken or warm it in the microwave.
- Arrange the chicken over the 4 salad bowls.
- Next add 5 olives, 1 hard boiled egg and 1 teaspoon of capers to each salad.
- Crumble the pecans with your hands and distribute evenly over the top of the 4 salads.
- Whisk the vinaigrette before pouring some over each salad.
- Optional-can top salad with some snow pea sprouts (or sprouts of your choice) and a little shaved parmesan cheese if desired.
The maple dijon vinaigrette really adds a special touch to this salad. I used pimento-stuffed green olives and warmed my chicken up in the microwave first. I tasted the dressing and felt it needed more maple syrup, so added a bit more. I had thought of warming the dressing up before adding, but by the time I finished putting the salad together, I forgot all about it! Next time, I think I would warm the dressing just slightly. Made for ZWT4.
A very good salad. When I make this again, and I will, I am going to increase the maple syrup. I did use pure maple syrup-it is the only kind to buy. Thanks for sharing, Jubes. Made for ZWT4 the Flying Dutchess'.
This tastey salad was very yummy and yet really easy to make. just the right amount of flavor. Thanks for sharing. We will use this often.