Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a very tasty, quick salad. The flavors are absolutely wonderful, and it is also low fat and low calorie. This recipe was presented on KSL-TV.
- 1 lb chicken breast, cooked and cubed
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red onion
- 1⁄2 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 medium granny smith apple, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- lettuce leaf, washed & dried
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a small jar add all ingredients and shake until blended.
- Combine all salad ingredients in a bowl and pour dressing over, gently tossing together until blended. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- Before serving toss again and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Serve on lettuce leaves.
- This recipe is low fat and low calorie.
I used dried cherries and added a little more mayo and a bit of sugar. Just a little too tangy without it.
My fiance and I really enjoyed the flavors in this, but found that it a) took longer than the stated time to prep everything, and b) just didn't have the cohesion that we usually prefer in a chicken salad. We like to make sandwiches out of chicken salad, so I think that next time we'll probably add more dressing so it stays together better. All in all, we enjoyed this, but we have a similar recipe that is more to our tastes. Thanks for sharing!
I am going to come back and rate this after I make it again with fresh chicken. I have never had canned chicken before but I had some in the pantry and tried it, yuk! It tasted a whole like tuna, how strange. In any case, I know that had nothing to do with this recipe and I am certainly going to try this again, still sounds delish...just wanted to warn people not to try and take that short cut like I did! :-)