Recipe by SeriousMoms
Crunchy, yummy tea sandwiches.
Top Review by Susie D
I loved all of the crunchy elements in this version of chicken salad. I stuffed hollowed hoagie rolls and chilled before serving. I did add the cucumber & sprouts as well as stirring in a few sliced almonds into the chicken mixture. I think next time I might add diced red pepper if I were serving finger sandwiches. Made for Fall '09 Pick A Chef.
- 5 -6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and diced
- 1 (5 ounce) can water chestnuts, diced
- 2 -3 green onions, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 3⁄4 cup cream cheese, softened
- salt and pepper
- 2 loaves bread, crusts removed (one dark, one light)
- cucumber, slices (optional)
- alfalfa sprout (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the chicken, water chestnuts, green onions, celery, mayonnaise, cream cheese, salt & pepper in a large bowl. If your mixture feels too dry, you can add more mayo & cream cheese, just make sure there is more cream cheese than mayo.
- Spread some of the mixture on top of the light bread. (Spread immediately--do not refrigerate and then spread, it will become too difficult to spread).
- Top with the dark bread, cut in half (making 2 triangles).
- Wipe your knife off often as you cut to keep the sandwiches clean-looking.
- You can add some cucumber or alfalfa sprouts inside each triangle, if desired.
- Arrange your sandwiches on a serving plate, cover with plastic wrap & refrigerate for several hours.