Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
A one dish meal combining the flavors of Chicken Piccata with potatoes and fresh green beans. Adapted from "Everyday with Rachael Ray," August 2009. Supposed to cost less than $10.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs small red potatoes, quartered
- 1⁄2 lb fresh green beans, halved
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (1/2 a lemon)
- fresh lemon zest (1/2 a lemon)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, lightly pounded
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- In a large saucepan, heat potatoes and enough salted water to cover by 1 inch; bring to a boil and cook until almost tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove potatoes to a colander to drain and add green beans to water; cook 2 minutes then add to potatoes in colander.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 tablespoon capers, 3 tablespoons parsley, the lemon zest and half the lemon juice.
- Add potatoes and beans, season with salt and pepper; toss.
- In a shallow bowl, beat the egg.
- In another shallow bowl, combine the flour with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil over medium high heat.
- Dip chicken pieces in flour, egg, then flour again and cook about 8 minutes in the skillet; transfer to cutting board and cut into strips.
- Add chicken broth to skillet, cook over medium heat, scraping browned bits. Remove from heat and stir in remaining capers, parsley and lemon juice.
- Top potato/bean salad with chicken and drizzle on sauce from pan.
A truly delicious and enjoyable meal. I didn't have beans as they aren't in season here, so used fresh raw celery instead which worked really well. I also used 'Agria' potatoes rather than the red ones which were recommended. This recipe has been saved to my Cookbook and will definitely be made again.