Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Great for warm summer evenings, or, remember summer during the winter! Makes a perfect luncheon salad, too. This is a recipe of my friend, Olive.
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, poached and cooled
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple tidbits (reserve juice)
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 20 grapes, halved
- 1 cup baby peas, thawed
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup cashews
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 4 romaine leaves, chilled, for garnish
- 1 cup chow mein noodles
- Tear the cooled chicken breasts into bite sized pieces and place in a good sized bowl.
- Add celery, pineapple and grapes.
- Add the peas, green onion and cashews.
- In a small bowl mix together the mayo and 1/4 c reserved pineapple liquid until smooth and creamy.
- Add the mayo mixture and fresh chives to the chicken mixture and fold gently.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour to blend the flavors.
- To serve, place romaine leaves on a serving platter (or use 4 individual plates) and top with the salad mixture.
- Sprinkle with chow mein noodles for garnish.
This was outstanding. DH and I loved this. I omitted the peas (we don't care for those) and I used peanuts instead of cashews (what I had on hand) served with cantelope and crackers. Great light dinner for a HOT summer night. Thanks for the great recipe.
Great recipe name! It was in the high 90's here yesterday and I had no ambition to cook much of anything until I came across this recipe. As I had some chicken leftovers already cut up in the freezer I saw this recipe as a natural for dinner. In less than 30 minutes I had it prepared and in the fridge. (Microwaves are incredible for thawing anything!) The hardest part of this recipe was the one hour wait! The crunch of the chow mein noodles is a nice touch that I would not have thought of. I'm filing this in my "Favorites" cookbook without changing a thing.