Recipe by Chicagoland Chef du Jour
I have made this for bridal & baby showers and the women love it. I serve it on a mini croissant with fancy lettuce. It can also be served on a bed of fancy lettuce greens topped with crispy Chinese style noodles and fresh fruit on the side. Just lovely. When I make it just for the family I wing the amounts (approx. 1/4 to 1/2 chicken breast per person). UPDATE: 8/9/08 Purchasing several rotisserie chickens makes this even MORE tasty! OR be sure to season the water chicken bouillon when simmering the chicken breasts
Top Review by Roxygirl in Colorado
I scaled this way down. The half and half really gives this a wonderful texture (makes it less "mayonnaisy." Thanks Chicagoland, for responding to my request for "funeral foods." Roxygirl
- 18 lbs chicken, bone in, boiled, season water with several teaspoons of chicken flavored bouillon
- 2 2⁄3 cups mayonnaise, can use light, not fat free
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 small sweet onions, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper (to taste)
- 4 cups celery, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons beau monde seasoning, substitute celery salt
- 2 bunches green leaf lettuce, any fancy lettuce
- 2 cups iceberg lettuce, thinly shredded (optional)
- 40 croissants
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the chicken breasts until no longer pink. Cool completely and cube or shred.
- Peel and mince onion. Can use small to medium size.
- Clean and thinly slice celery.
- Combine mayonnaise, half and half, white pepper and Beau Monde. NOTE: *I add enough Beau Monde to see scant color in the mayonnaise, chill and let rest while the chicken is cooling. This will allow the flavors to blend.
- Combine all ingredients with the chicken and cover and refrigerate over night.
- Next Morning:.
- Taste test for additional Beau Monde.
- Add more half & half or milk to thin and make creamier if desired.
- OPTIONAL: Finely shred iceberg lettuce and add to the chicken mixture. This stretches the amount of chicken salad and makes it lighter in texture.