Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
For all those fans of my Chicken Pot Pie recipe....you'll live this one too! The real name of the recipe is Hot Chicken Salad. I got this recipe from a book called The Complete Guide to Country Cooking. I have been asked about this recipe so often and about what's in it that we call it the " What's In It " casserole! This is a great potluck addition or light luncheon and can be assembled 24 hours in advance. I hope you enjoy this wonderfully light and comforting meal/side. I like to double my recipe (still using the 9x13 dish) and use it for a few days.
- 2 1⁄2 cups diced cooked chicken (if I don't have a rotisserie chicken on hand I will boil 2 breasts with salt and pepper)
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained (optional)
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms (tastes so much better than canned!)
- 3 tablespoons onions, finely diced
- 1 1⁄2 a tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup, UNdiluted
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise (whether you use light or not use the real stuff not miraclewhip!)
- 2 tubes Ritz crackers, crumbled
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter or 2 -3 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds (optional but good)
- In a large bowl, combine all wet ingredients and seasonings (lemon juice,rosemary,salt and pepper, chicken soup and mayo).Mix well.
- Add all dry ingredients into the wet mixture (chicken,rice,celery,mushrooms and chestnuts if you want them). Mix wet and dry ingredients until all is well covered and evenly mixed.
- Place the mixture into a 9x13 casserole dish (no need to grease).
- TOPPING: Melt the margarine or butter and add the crumbled ritz crackers and slivered almonds and mix well until a slightly moist crumbly texture is obtained. Sprinkle over the entire surface of the casserole.
- Bake your casserole at 375 for 30-45 minutes. You are basically heating your casserole up and slightly cooking the mushrooms and celery. The veggies should still have a slight bite. Enjoy!