Recipe by puppitypup
I love chicken salad and I love avocado, so I figured I might as well put them together. Oops! Fixed mistake on mayo amount May 2012.
Top Review by Gagoo
An excellent flavor to this chicken salad - even DH loved it and he doesn't care for any type of sandwich salad. The only thing I would do differently next time, and there will be a next time, is add additional jalapeno - possibly 3 or 4 teaspoons - could not even tell there was any jalapeno in the salad. Instead of making sandwiches I put the salad into large hollowed tomatoes - will be even better when the tomatoes are in season:) There was enough left over for a second lunch or dinner too - a plus. Thank you for posting puppity.
- 8 ounces cooked chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon canned diced jalapeno
- 1⁄8 teaspoon kosher salt (less if table salt)
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise (more or less, to bind salad)
- 4 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise or 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard, for bread
- 1 avocado
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- 2 romaine leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop cooked chicken into 1/4-inch cubes and place in medium bowl.
- Add pecans, celery, red onion, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, jalapeño and salt. Then add just enough mayonnaise to bind salad together.
- Stir to combine and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Spread mayonnaise or Dijon mustard on the bread, mash half a avocado on each sandwich and top with provolone and romaine.
- On other half of each sandwich add the chicken salad, then put the two halves together and enjoy!
- To prepare the cooked chicken, try cooking them in pineapple juice. It gives them a very nice flavor.