Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is the way I make chicken salad. It has lots of flavour. This recipe has evolved over the last 20 years.
- 2 large chicken breasts, poached and removed from bone cut into 1inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, very thinly sliced
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1 cup pecans, toasted
- 1 cup mayonnaise (use Hellman's or homemade)
- 3⁄4 cup mango chutney (I use Major Grey)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash hot sauce
- salt & pepper
- Place chicken, celery, onions, pineapple, and pecans in bowl.
- Combine mayonnaise, chutney, lemon juice, curry powder, 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce in small bowl.
- Fold gently into salad.
- Let sit in fridge for at least 1 hour for flavours to marry.
I chose to make this recipe because of the chutney. I love smoked turkey salad with chutney, and wanted to give this one a try. This is very good, and the curry adds a nice spiciness to it. This is enjoyable over lettuce, as well as on a sandwich or wrap. I did leave out the pineapple....tried a bit in a small portion of chicken salad, and found I liked it better without it. That's just a personal preference though. I only had canned....fresh pineapple would be a totally different thing! Thanks for sharing your recipe!