Recipe by Luby Luby Luby
This is my recipe for chicken salad. I've been making it for years, but didn't have a written recipe per se - just "eye balled" the ingredient amounts. I finally decided to measure and record everything while making it so I could post the recipe. I much prefer the chicken and eggs to be finely chopped and not turned into a paste in the food processor. On the other hand, I do prefer the onion and the celery to be liquified so you get the flavor of both but you don't bite into a piece of onion or celery. I listed 8 stalks of celery but after liquefying it in the food processor make sure you have a heaping cup - you may need to add a few more stalks depending on how big they are. As far as seasoning that really is a personal matter. I believe it is best using a Cajun type seasoning such as Tony Chacherie but I like that type of seasoning. If you don't I would use salt, black pepper, white pepper and be sure to use a little ground cayenne pepper for a little "zing". This recipe does make a lot and you can easily cut the recipe in half. I use frozen chicken breasts. I know there are a lot of recipes that call for boiling and de-boning the chicken, but honestly I don't think it's worth all of that trouble. Be sure to use good quality mayonnaise such as Hellman's - it really can make a big difference. I love to buy a loaf of fresh white bread and go to chicken salad sandwich heaven.
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 18 large eggs, boiled & peeled
- 1 large onion, peeled & quartered
- 8 stalks celery
- 1 cup dill pickle, minced
- 1 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
- cajun seasoning, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In large stock pot cover chicken breasts with water and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove chicken from water and let cool.
- Once chicken has cooled enough to handle remove any visible fat and coarsely chop into pieces.
- Place chicken in food processor and pulse 4-5 times until chicken is finely shredded but do not turn into a paste.
- Place chopped chicken in large mixing bowl.
- Process boiled eggs the same way as the chicken in the food processor then add eggs to chicken.
- Place quartered onion in food processor and process until liquefied then add to chicken mixture.
- Place celery in food processor and process until liquefied then add to chicken mixture.
- Add minced dill pickles, sweet pickle relish and mayonnaise to chicken mixture.
- Add Tony Chacherie seasoning and mix thoroughly.