1 hr 15 mins
Luby Luby Luby's Note:
This is my recipe for chicken salad. I've been making it for years, but didn't have a written recipe per se - just "eye balled" the ingredient amounts. I finally decided to measure and record everything while making it so I could post the recipe. I much prefer the chicken and eggs to be finely chopped and not turned into a paste in the food processor. On the other hand, I do prefer the onion and the celery to be liquified so you get the flavor of both but you don't bite into a piece of onion or celery. I listed 8 stalks of celery but after liquefying it in the food processor make sure you have a heaping cup - you may need to add a few more stalks depending on how big they are. As far as seasoning that really is a personal matter. I believe it is best using a Cajun type seasoning such as Tony Chacherie but I like that type of seasoning. If you don't I would use salt, black pepper, white pepper and be sure to use a little ground cayenne pepper for a little "zing". This recipe does make a lot and you can easily cut the recipe in half. I use frozen chicken breasts. I know there are a lot of recipes that call for boiling and de-boning the chicken, but honestly I don't think it's worth all of that trouble. Be sure to use good quality mayonnaise such as Hellman's - it really can make a big difference. I love to buy a loaf of fresh white bread and go to chicken salad sandwich heaven.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In large stock pot cover chicken breasts with water and bring to a boil.
- 2Lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- 3Remove chicken from water and let cool.
- 4Once chicken has cooled enough to handle remove any visible fat and coarsely chop into pieces.
- 5Place chicken in food processor and pulse 4-5 times until chicken is finely shredded but do not turn into a paste.
- 6Place chopped chicken in large mixing bowl.
- 7Process boiled eggs the same way as the chicken in the food processor then add eggs to chicken.
- 8Place quartered onion in food processor and process until liquefied then add to chicken mixture.
- 9Place celery in food processor and process until liquefied then add to chicken mixture.
- 10Add minced dill pickles, sweet pickle relish and mayonnaise to chicken mixture.
- 11Add Tony Chacherie seasoning and mix thoroughly.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Salad
Serving Size: 1 (3472 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 387.3
- Calories from Fat 169
- Total Fat 18.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 390.7 mg
- Sodium 727.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 36.3 g