There is very little fat in this risotto because I have subbed stock for olive oil for sautéing. For health reasons DH cannot have oil or fat in his diet but this works really well without any.
- Sauté leek in pan with the extra stock, enough to cover bottom of pan. Cook until soft or even light brown, adding more stock if necessary.
- Add saffron and rice and stir until moistened.
- Bring chicken stock to the boil, then reduce heat to simmer.
- Add 1 cup of stock to the rice and stir until stock has been taken up; continue adding stock, a cup at a time and stirring in until taken up by the rice.
- Add peas, chicken* and lemon juice, zest and stir into risotto; cook 2 minutes more.
- Serve with parmesan cheese on the side - optional.
- *I partially cooked the chicken breast, cut into strips, in a little seasoned stock, then cut into reasonably large bite sized pieces and added to risotto.
This is very good, Ninna! Thanks for sharing it. Since we don't have the restrictions that your husband does, we sauteed in 1t EVOO and 1T unsalted butter. We also added more peas than called for. Asparagus would be wonderful, too! This seems like it would be very versatile. I am not a fan a chicken, so am thinking that scallops or something might work, too. Gato (DH) loves chicken and LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this meal. It does beg for salt but that can be done at the table. YUM!