Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
My mom and I went to an Indian festival this weekend and enjoyed the best food! I think my stomach wants to move to Mumbai
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 fresh green chili pepper
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 diced onion
- 4 tomatoes, diced
- 2 teaspoons curry
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 8 chicken breasts
- Cook spinach without water, in covered pan for 5 minutes.
- Puree spinach, ginger , garlic and chili with 1/4 cup water.
- Heat oil, add bay leaves and pepper corns and onion, stir fry for 6-8 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add curry powder, salt and chili powder, cook 2 minutes.
- Add spinach puree and remaining water to pan simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in yogurt 1 tbs at a time simmer 5 minutes.
- Add chicken, cover and cook for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve with warm naan and yogurt, dust lightly with chili powder.
Delicious! Quite spicy, my kids struggled a little with the heat. I used fresh baby spinach, and also substituted cream cheese for yoghurt as that's all I had in the fridge. Delicious!
Easy to make, nice size portion, good consistency...just felt like it was missing a certain spice, but can't put a finger on it. DH thought it was really good. Will make again, but I will experiment with the spices a little more. Thanks!!
I've been wanting to try making Chicken Saag for awhile now, and am so pleased that this recipe gave me the opportunity. It's really very little work to make and so delicious! Made for PAC 2008.