Recipe by Cookin'Diva
I started with a recipe for Chicken Cacciatore and made several modifications to include polenta and cannellini beans - both hot trends in Italian cooking. The juicy chicken thighs simmer in a tomato sauce, and are then spooned over creamy polenta for a robust and flavorful meal.
Top Review by Eldeevee
This is a very good dish, but the best part was making the polenta in the microwave. Now that I have discovered this method I will never have the sputtering in the pot burn me again! I browned the chicken and put everything together in the crock pot and enjoyed a great meal when I came home. This would be great with leftover chicken or turkey too. Thanks for posting another great recipe.
- 6 slices bacon
- 12 skinless chicken thighs, bone-in (about 1.5 lbs)
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, pitted and sliced
- 1 (14 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup grated imported parmesan cheese
- fresh parsley, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Instructions: Brown bacon in large deep pan. Remove bacon, leaving 1-2 T. drippings in pan.
- Dust chicken pieces with flour, salt and pepper. Brown chicken pieces 4 minutes each side in bacon fat; remove to platter when browned both sides.
- Make sauce: Heat oil, add chopped onion; sauté over low heat 6-8 minutes. Add garlic, sauté 2 more minutes.
- Add all other sauce ingredients and mix. Add bacon and browned chicken pieces; gently simmer 30 minutes.
- Add drained beans and simmer 10 more minutes. During this last 10 minutes, make polenta.
- Polenta: combine water and salt in a large glass microwave-safe bowl; whisk in cornmeal. Cover and microwave on HIGH 4 minutes; stir. Uncover and microwave 2 minutes; stir. Microwave 2 more minutes; stir in Parmesan cheese; sprinkle with parsley.
- To serve, spoon polenta in a bowl, then top with chicken and plenty of the chunky sauce. Garnish with parsley.