Recipe by Mims & Squims
Picture perfect, yet simple to make. Perfect for low-fat & low-carb dieters!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1⁄3 cup shallot (peeled and minced)
- 4 medium red bell peppers (cut into strips)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- sea salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (for brushing top of roulade)
- fresh coarse ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy skillet, over medium heat, saute minced shallots in butter until slighty golden (2 minutes). Add bell pepper strips, basil and balsamic vinegar. Cook until peppers are just tender - do not over cook. Season with sea salt and pepper. Remove form heat and set aside to cool.
- Place meat on cutting board, between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Pound with a mallet to 1/2-inch thickness. Remove top sheet of plastic.
- In a food processor, pulse the cooled shallot/pepper mixture until semi-smooth. Spoon the red pepper mixture onto the turkey breast, and spread out evenly leaving a 1-inch edge clear for easy rolling.
- Starting at 1 long side, roll up meat jelly-roll style. Secure edge with skewers or toothpicks, then tie with kitchen twine. Oil a 13x9x2-inch metal baking pan. Transfer roulade to prepared pan, skewer side down. Brush roulade with olive oil & sprinkle with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
- Preheat oven to 400°F Roast roulade until thermometer inserted into thickest part registers 160°F, about 35 minutes.
- Remove roulade from oven; let stand at room temperature 5 minutes. Remove string and skewers from roulade. Cut into 6 slices and transfer to a decorative platter. Garnish with roasted seasonal fruits and root veggies.