Recipe by Hag chef
The perfect company dish. This dish isn't difficult to make, and it tastes incredible!
- 6 (6 ounce) boneless chicken breasts, skin on
- fresh ground black pepper
- 6 slices prosciutto ham
- 18 leaves fresh spinach
- 24 pieces sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 3 -6 eggs, as needed
- 1 -2 cup half-and-half cream, as needed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, as needed
- 2 cups breadcrumbs, Italian flavored, as needed
- canola oil (for deep frying)
1 cup demi-glace (brown sauce)
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1⁄4 cup tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leave
- 1 tablespoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Lay a long piece of plastic wrap over your cutting board and tuck it underneath the sides of the board. (Covering the chicken with the plastic will also keep the mess down when you pound with the meat mallet.) The chicken breasts should be placed on the covered cutting board, skin side down, with enough space between them so they can lay flat after you "butterfly" them.
- To make the butterfly cut, carefully slice open (without slicing the chicken all the way through) and spread the flesh of the chicken out so you will be able to pound it out into a single thin piece on which you will place stuffing and then roll up. Season the breasts with salt and pepper. Then put another length of plastic wrap over the seasoned chicken breasts and flatten with meat mallet to integrate the seasoning into the chicken. Pound chicken thin.
- Lay 1 slice of prosciutto ham on each breast. Add 3 leaves of spinach and 4 pieces of sun-dried tomatoes on each breast. Fold in each end and roll tightly.
- Place on sheet tray and freeze until firm. (It does not have to be frozen completely hard, but this makes it easier to handle when breading.).
- Preheat a deep-fryer to 350 degrees F. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- While the chicken roulade is hardening in the freezer, prepare the tomato demi-glace. In a saucepan, saute garlic and then deglaze the pan with the wine. Add stock and tomato puree. Boil over medium heat until reduced by half. Add the demi-glace (brown sauce) and let simmer until thickened ("medium thickness").
- When the chicken is firm, set up a breading station. Whisk together 3 eggs and 1 cup of the half-and-half for the egg wash. (Begin with this amount and whisk more together if needed.) Then set up a bowl each of: flour, then egg wash, and then Italian bread crumbs.
- Evenly coat rolled frozen chicken with flour (not too much or bread crumbs won't stick). Dip floured rolled chicken into egg wash, then into bread crumbs.
- In a deep-fat fryer, lightly fry until golden brown. Finish in the oven for 15 minutes until completely cooked through. Remove from oven and let rest.
- Re-heat the tomato demi-glace and to finish remove from heat, and immediately whisk in fresh thyme and 1 tablespoon butter.
- Slice each chicken roll to expose the stuffed interior.