Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe came from our local newspaper quite some time ago. The red pepper mayo is what makes this so special.
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups water
- 1 stalk fresh lemongrass
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 peppercorns, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 cups orange juice
- 6 center-cut deli rolls
- 1 head bibb lettuce
- 6 orange slices
- 1 small fennel bulb, shredded, 6 fronds reserved
Red Pepper Mayo
- 2⁄3 cup of bottled roasted red pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot sauce
- In large saucepan, place wine, water, lemon grass, garlic, peppercorns, salt, onion and ginger.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat.
- Add chicken, cover and poach about 25 minutes.
- Remove chicken to a plate and cool; discard liquid.
- Shred chicken into large bowl and mix with red pepper mayo. (See Recipe Below) Refrigerate until chilled.
- Pour orange juice into saute pan and boil over medium heat to reduce to syrupy consistency, about 20 minutes.
- Toast deli rolls and place lettuce leaves on each.
- Divide chicken mixture evenly among 6 rolls and sprinkle fennel shreds over each.
- Drizzle orange syrup over top.
- Place a chicken roll on each of six plates and garnish with orange slice and fennel frond.
- To make Red Pepper Mayo: In food processor, place 2/3 cup bottled roasted red pepper, chopped, and 1 garlic clove. Process to form a paste. Add 1 cup mayonnaise, 1/2 teaspoon orange zest and 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce. Pulse to blend.