Adapted from Robin Miller's Quick Fix show, this is more fussy than her usual recipes but still not terribly complicated and very delicious. You absolutely can use any kind of soft cheese you like, such as Alouette with herbs or perhaps even soft cream cheese with chives. Serve with a salad or a bright green veggie and a side of lightly buttered pasta noodles.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, pounded to 1/4-inch thickness
- 4 slices deli ham
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves, chopped
- 4 ounces goat cheese, at room temperature (or other soft spreadable cheese)
- 2 -3 tablespoons Dijon mustard, as needed
- 1 -2 cup seasoned bread crumbs, as needed
- extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- fresh parsley, minced, garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and coat a large baking pan with cooking spray.
- Arrange chicken breasts on a flat surface. Top each piece of chicken with ham.
- Mix together spinach and goat cheese and spread over ham.
- Starting from the shorter end, roll up chicken and secure with wooden picks.
- Brush mustard all over chicken rolls on all sides,and then roll in bread crumbs to lightly coat.
- Heat enough oil to brown chicken and prevent sticking (2-3 Tbsp or so) in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken rolls and cook until golden brown on all sides, just a few minutes per side.
- Transfer chicken to a greased casserole and bake 20 minutes,or until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve chicken over hot pasta that has been tossed with a little buter or olive oil, salt & pepper or your favorite sauce.