Mees Mees's Note:
I improvised this dish as a way to use up leftover ingredients from my Cinco de Mayo party this year, and it turned out great! As a warning, it is quite spicy. If you don't want the dish to be too spicy, you could always cut back on the amount of chipotle pepper you put in (or just use the adobo sauce from the can). Feel free to change it up to your preferences.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, roughly chopped
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 (16 ounce) can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 12 corn tortillas (6-inch)
- 1 (12 ounce) can red enchilada sauce
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 zucchini, very thinly sliced
- 1 roasted red pepper, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups cheese, shredded (I used Kroger's Authentic Mexican Cheese blend)
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2Puree first 5 ingredients in a blender to make a thick chile sauce. (Or, place these 5 ingredients in a 2 cup measuring cup and puree with an immersion blender.).
- 3In the bottom of a 9x9 casserole dish, spread 1/2 cup of the red enchilada sauce, covering the whole bottom of the pan.
- 4Layer 4 corn tortillas on top of sauce, overlapping slightly.
- 5Pour 1/2 cup of the chile sauce over tortillas and spread evenly. Cover sauce with a third of the zucchini slices, a third of the pepper slices, and a third of the shredded chicken. Sprinkle with a handful of cheese.
- 6Repeat to make two more layers. (First lay down more tortillas, then sauce, then toppings.).
- 7Top final layer with 4 more tortillas. Top generously with red enchilada sauce and the remaining cheese.
- 8Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, until cheese is brown and bubbly.
- 9NOTE: I had some enchilada sauce and chile sauce left over, so I stirred it into a can of black beans, and simmered it on the stove while the enchiladas were in the oven. Turned out AMAZING.
Browse Our Top Tex-Mex Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Tex-Mex Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken & Roasted Veggie Enchilada-Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (331 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 405.2
- Calories from Fat 185
- Total Fat 20.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 53.0 mg
- Sodium 1323.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 22.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo
roasted red peppers