Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 hrs 30 mins
This is a very good recipe for my son who is 2 years old. He isn't one for chicken, but will eat this. I put individual servings for him into the freezer so when the hubby and I eat something that we know he won't eat, I just pop this in the microwave. Very easy and satisfying. From Betty Crocker's Slow Cooker Meals Feb 06
- 1 1⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup (the low fat one is ok)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a 4-quart slow cooker, mix chicken, onion, carrot, garlic and water.
- Cover; cook on low heat setting for 6 to 7 hours (depending on brand of slow cooker).
- Stir in rice and butter.
- Increase heat setting to HIGH.
- Cover; cook 5 minutes until rice is tender.
- Stir in soup and cheese.
- Cover; cook 10 - 15 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Serve immediately.
- Appx. 1 1/2 cups per serving for adults.
A good slow cooker meal! Followed the recipe as-is the first time, and enjoyed it. This time, I'll add either broccoli or peas to up the veggie intake, and possibly cut the parm. down only to decrease the fat. The taste with the full amount of parm was incredible! Hopefully it won't lose too much of that by reducing the amount. Thanks for the recipe!
This was just lovely! I did make a few changes, though. I used low-sodium chicken broth in place of the water, used cream of mushroom soup and added some fresh sliced mushrooms at the beginning. I also, due to time constraints, cooked it on high for about and hour and then on low for about 4. DH definitely wants this for the "keeper" file, though he wants peas or broccoli in it next time. Thanks for and easy, delicious, and inexpensive recipe, Smilyn! Update: This reheats wonderfully - it may be even better the next day!
A very tasty dish and of course easy! I did however change the recipe after reading the previous comments and added this:
1 Tbls Mustard
1/2 Tbls Cayanne Pepper
4 Clove of garlic
2 Cups Of chicken Stock (replacing the water)
-I added these to the start of the process
1 Can of condensed Mushroom Soup (Replacing the chicken soup)
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- I replaced the soup and topped the dish with the cheddar cheese as we had ran out of parmason to top off with.
This was very delicous TY Smilyn