Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A terrific way to recycle leftovers into something new and delicious. From the Mississippi Valley chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 2 cups hot milk or 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups cream
- 2 eggs or 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Pour hot milk slowly into eggs, stirring constantly.
- Add remaining ingredients, mix well and pour into buttered mold or loaf pan.
- Bake at 300F until a knife blade comes out clean, about 45 to 60 minutes(It will take less time in a ring mold than a loaf pan), taking care not to over bake.
- Let stand ten minutes before unmolding.
- Serve mushroom sauce in center of the ring.
- For the mushroom sauce: Melt butter; add mushrooms and cook about 5 minutes.
- Blend in flour; add chicken broth gradually and cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Add seasonings.