Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Great recipe adapted from Jean-Georges Vongerichten with a kitchen light show and delicious outcome! Serve with noodles, spaetzle, rice or boiled potatoes and a complex Riesling with some body.
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) whole chickens, quartered
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons cognac
- 1 cup dry riesling wine
- 6 ounces white mushrooms, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and season with salt and pepper and cook until somewhat golden browned, about 4 minutes per side. Add shallot and continue cooking and stirring for 1 minute. Add Cognac and carefully ignite it with a long match. When the flames subside, add Riesling, cover and simmer on low until the chicken breasts are just cooked, about 25 minutes. Remove breasts to plate and cover with foil. Cover and simmer the legs until cooked through, about 10 minutes longer. Transfer to the plate.
- Meanwhile, in another skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook over low heat until the liquid dissipates, about 7 minutes. Increase heat and continue cooking and stirring, until browned, about 3 minutes.
- In a bowl, blend flour and remaining tablespoon of butter. Stir cream into the large skillet; bring to a simmer. Gradually whisk the flour paste into the cooking liquid and simmer, whisking, until no floury taste remains, 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Return the chicken to the skillet, add the mushrooms and briefly reheat.
Spectacular and delicious! We served this with Recipe#99430 and a locally made Oregon Riesling: we know the winemaker! We have a weak spot for the flavors of wine and mushrooms together in a sauce, and this was fully satisfying. Made for Zaar World Tour 2008.
Outstanding dish! So simple and easy yet 5 star results! This was a blast to make, especially when you light the pan on fire! Woowhoo! Makes a stunnnig sight! We absolutely loved this dish. Tops for flavor and presentation! Made a wonderful anniversary meal! Served with yolk free egg noodles and a simple green salad. The sauce us absolutely devine and we found ourselves trying to catch every luscious drop - even wanted to lick our plates! Fantastic meal! Thanks Cheryl!