Recipe by Kluless
Yay I cooked by myself for the first time today! Decided to start with something easy and yummy :) (and of course, healthy). Made this looking at Chicken Soup With Wild Rice and Mushrooms, but made a few adjustments. Writing the recipe down so I don't forget. Recipe makes 8 big servings, with 230cal per serving. *Edit* The soup gets really thick as it cooks or sits overnight because of the rice, sort of like a risotto. If you don't like the texture, replace brown rice with wild rice or other grains. The only reason I used brown rice instead of wild rice is because I couldn't find any where I live.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups onions, diced
- 2 cups carrots, diced
- 2 cups celery, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups button mushrooms, halved
- 2 cups oyster mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 9 cups organic free range fat free chicken broth
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 chicken breasts, cubed
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Add the olive oil to a heavy duty soup pot and add cubed chicken breasts, cook on medium heat for 2-3 mins, or until chicken is just barely browned.
- Add chopped onions, carrots, celery, and garlic. Saute till soft.
- Add chicken broth, rice, bay leaves, and dried thyme.
- Cook until soup reaches a boil and reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer on low for 1 hour, covered.
- Add milk and mushrooms. Now is a good time to add salt and pepper if using.
- Keep simmering on low, covered, for another 30 minutes.
- Yum! (You can also garnish with some parsley but I personally don't like parsley).