Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
You will love this soup; true comfort food. This soup works well in the slow cooker at Low for 4 hours but only add your rice for last hour.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 chicken breast, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked short-grain rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Heat oil in large heavy saucepan.
- Sauté chicken.
- Add garlic,onions,shallot,celery and carrots.
- Cook stirring occasionally for appp. 20 minutes.
- Add rice and continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat; cover and.
- Simmer for app 1 hour or until vegetables and rice are cooked.
- Serve with grated parmesan cheese and freshly ground pepper.
- I often make this soup without the chicken.
- Add any fresh herbs for fresh flavour.