Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 6 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup white rice
- 1 (10 ounce) packagecooked chicken breasts, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- salt and pepper
- Combine the broth, thyme, dill, bay leaf, carrots, celery and onion in a pot.
- Bring to a boil, stir in the rice, cover and reduceto a simmer.
- Cook 15 minutes.
- Add the chicken and cook over medium heat for another 5 to 10 minutes, or until the rice and vegetables are soft and cooked through.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
My family loved this soup. I substituted Chinese Lo-Mein noodles broken into 1" pieces for the rice. Very easy and delicious.
I fixed this for my wife to help with her cold on Monday. She liked it so much, she fixed it again when she was feeling better on Friday. Very quick, easy, and tasty. She said it's good enough to be served in restaurants and I agree. Our only change to the recipe was to super-size the amount of veggies and rice for a thicker soup. Very good on a cold and rainy fall evening.
Yummy! Used lots of fresh coarse ground pepper, no salt needed and basil as a dill weed substitute (nt a fan of dill weed-yuk). Went w/what I had on hand which was 5 tsp chicken bouillon granules and 6 1/2 cups water vs chicken broth. And, approx 1 3/4 cups leftover jasmine white rice. Took no time to prep! Loved that. Tossed celery, carrot, onion and chicken in the crock pot to sautee in olive oil for a few mins, then switched over to crock setting and added the remaining ingredients to brew for the day. Was fabulous!