Recipe by dale!
A very pretty salad with a slightly Morrocan feel to it. Special enough for a dinner party or just whenever! Easily adjusted for more or less servings.
Top Review by Annie H
I had such a great time making and eating this recipe! I'm not doing stars b/c, as is my habit, I alter a recipe with things I have(not) on hand. I used basmati rice b/c of a time contraint. I also cooked the onion with the chicken and garlic as I prefer cooked and it added a nice pungent sweetness. The chicken was chunked rather than sliced. I omited celery, apricots, corrants and mint, but used crasins and almonds. I cut the peel and pith from the orange and used membrane-free segments. I loved the lettuce-bed arrangment; it looked so classy. My 2 year old and I had a good time eating this with our hands. I even tried some of it wrapped in my garnish and that was delightful. I also added 1/2 tsp of Rogan Josh curry (Penzey's blend), 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp pepper. I will definitely try this with the other fruits some time, but I will keep the spices, and maybe use sautee'd green onion for extra color. Thank you for a very fun and versatile recipe! I would give it 4 stars, b/c without the other spices I think it would have been a little bland. Edited to add: I totally forgot the French dressing!! Oh my goodness. I will have to try this and not forget it this time. I'm so sorry about that. Update: I tried it yesterday with the French dressing and really enjoyed it. I also used chopped dried apricots, raisins, and celery. I forgot about the pistacios. Once again I liked it rolled up in the lettuce leaves. Good measurement for the French dressing as it could so easily overwhelm the recipe, but it accents the flavors nicely.
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup currants
- 1⁄3 cup pistachio nut, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup of fresh mint, chopped
- 2 oranges, peeled and cut into 8 segments each
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free French dressing (or whatever type you prefer)
- 1 baby romaine lettuce, washed
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook rice until just tender and drain well.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick pan or wok.
- Cook garlic and chicken until chicken is just browned and cooked.
- Remove chicken from pan and let rest 5 minutes, then slice the breasts thinly.
- Combine rice, chicken, onion, celery, apricots, currants, nuts, mint and oranges in a large bowl.
- Just before serving, stir through dressing.
- Arrange lettuce leaves in the base and sides of 4 bowls and spoon salad over the top.
- Garnish with a sprig of mint.