Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe was given to me by my girlfriend over twenty years ago. I take it to our weekly church potluck and it is a hit.
- 1⁄4 cup orzo pasta
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 3 tablespoons instant chicken broth
- 3 cups boiling water
- Melt margerine in a casserole dish.
- Brown orzo.
- Add boiling water and chicken broth, and stir.
- Add rice and stir.
- Cook in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- For variation, try adding 1/2 cup mixed vegetables, 1 can mushrooms, or 1 small can peas.
- Use your imagination.
Something I never considered making until I read this, its so easy and so very good! I used Jasmine long grain rice and the flavour was really good, nice and fluffy too. Thanks for a great recipe!
It is absolutely so easy to make and simply delicious. I sauted orzo in olive oil instead of margarine, I used long grain Jasmine rice and reduced sodium chicken broth instead of instant chicken granules. I cooked mine in the rice cooker and it was done in 15 minutes. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
Made for a wedding - it was so easy to do for a big crowd! Added carrots and peas and ended up cooking it on the stove top covered and it came out great.